Thursday proved to be a heinous day in Chicago baseball. Let’s recap:
- Sox agree with Pads on Peavy trade but he rejects it
- Sox lose 20-1 to the Twins
- Cubs get swept by the Cards
- Piniella actually mentions playing Soriano at 2nd Base
- Piniella getting mad at Rothschild
Piniella has been notably perturbed with more frequency lately. The Cubs have plenty of issues and getting swept is never fun, but they are 3 over with all of the injuries and poor play. They are just 4 out of first. Deep breath maybe, Cubdom?
I think Ken Williams is one of the slickest GMs in the game. How often are trades not mentioned in the media before they go down? Rarely. Yet there was Williams, getting a deal for Peavy done in short order and out of nowhere, without giving up his best prospect.
They may eventually be sellers, which could be very interesting. The Tigers have won 6 straight and look ready to pounce on the division. Sox better start hitting soon if they want to contend.