BEARS SECURE 1ST ROUND BYE
Bears thoughts and bits from last night…
– I was listening to sports talk radio this morning and heard Mike North make a salient point. He said if Reggie Bush had even 4 kick returns for TDs he would be the Rookie of the Year without question. So why not Devin Hester–who has a NFL record 6?
– I have really taken to Bears radio announcer Jeff Joniak. Joniak is especially fun on big plays. On Hester’s 2nd TD return last night his call went something like this: “He’s to the 40, 30…Devin-Hester-is-ridiculous!” Perhaps you had to hear it, but it was great. And Devin Hester is ridiculous.
– Hester also made a great open field tackle on Stephen Davis and nearly had an interception of Bulger.
– Joe Theismann said that Marc Bulger is the most accurate passer in the league. I’m not sure about that. But after looking at his numbers, you have to put him in the team picture. Since 2002 his completion percentages have been 64.5, 63.2, 66.2, 66.9 and 63.3 this season. And he’s going downfield too.
– Thomas Jones won’t go away. He had an outstanding game last night. Benson did too, but I have a new concern about Benson. While he is doing most of the punishing, it seems with his inside running he is getting hit hard on every carry. That worries me.
– I think Tony Kornheiser is still talking about how it was a Bears crowd at a St. Louis home game. A buddy of mine told me that Ram fans are so disgusted with their team that they are selling their tickets. Apparently Bears fans were gobbling them up.
–Finally, Grossman was great last night. Griese doesn’t get 50% of the snaps this week. Good for you kid.