Rich Harden Should Close For the Cubs
Rich Harden Should Be the Next Cubs Closer
Before Kevin Gregg went all haywire on Saturday — and then again on Sunday– I said that the Cubs should move Rich Harden to the bullpen either as the closer or into the 8th inning set-up role. Some of the people on Twitter thought it was a dumb idea. But then Gregg blew 2 saves in spectacular fashion. I wonder how many think it’s a bad idea now?
The thinking behind it was this:
- Gregg is not a shut down closer, and now his psyche may be questionable.
- Harden can barely go 6 innings unless he is perfect.
- Harden is always a step away from the DL.
- Samardzija has no business being in the majors right now.
- Marmol and Heilman must have a bet as to who can walk the most batters, or who will give Lou a heart attack first.
- How many times do you need a 5th starter the rest of the way?
And that was all before Gregg got shelled. Unless Hendry gets some reliever that sneaks through waivers, the Cubs pen needs help – badly. And it’s not as if Harden has been lights out as a starter either, although lately he has done very well.
Even so, I can see him blowing away hitters in the 9th — a true closer. I’d love to see it. What say you Cubs fans?