Sunday, June 24th, 2018

Young boy falls to death at Los Angeles Lakers NBA game


Reports have come out of Los Angeles, California that a young boy fell to his death at a Los Angeles Lakers NBA basketball game on Nov. 21st. The youngster was identified by coroner’s officials as two-year-old Lucas Anthony Tang. The child tragically fell about 50 feet out of a luxury suite at the Staples Center in L.A., where the Lakers play their home games.

Tang fell from the suite after the game head ended between Los Angeles and the Golden State Warriors. According to officials on Nov. 22nd, the death is now being looked into and investigated by the child-abuse unit of the Los Angeles Police Department.

A spokeswoman for the LAPD, Julie Sohn, said that the young lad was rushed to the Los Angeles County–USC Medical Center after the fall and he died there from his injuries. Tang fell from the top level of the arena’s luxury boxes into the lower seating bowl just a few minutes after the game had ended in a 117-89 win for the Lakers.

It’s unclear what he was doing at the time and what caused the fall. However, one initial report from a local television station stated that the young boy was taking photographs with a camera when he lost his balance and fell. But that report has since been ruled out.

However, witnesses said he was still alive after he fell as he was moving his head, legs, and arms when the paramedics placed him on a stretcher and rushed him from the Staples Center to the nearby hospital. The Los Angeles Times newspaper reported that the arena’s security officials could be seen taking photographs of the scene about an hour after the game had ended.

The Staples Center is like most modern NBA arenas these days as it has a lower section of seats and a ring of luxury boxes that run around the arena above them. However, there are three levels of suites in the building and then there is more seating above them. The toddler fell from the third deck of suites into the seats below.

The death of the youngster is believed to be the first one of a child since a 13-year-old girl, Brittanie Cecil, was killed after being struck in the head by a puck at an NHL game in 2002 in Columbus, Ohio. Her death prompted the NHL to place netting around above the boards and glass at all of its arenas.

Tweeter button Facebook button Reddit button Digg button Stumbleupon button